The Indiana General Assembly recently passed a new law expanding the On My Way Pre-K program.
Great news for families and programs: Families from all 92 counties can now apply to On My Way Pre-K! Now, children who are 4-years-old by August 1, 2019, from low-income families living in any Indiana county might benefit from the program for the upcoming school year.
For children to be served in newly-eligible counties, there must be high-quality providers (Paths to QUALITY Level 3 or 4) in those counties who are prepared to serve them.The program awards grants to 4-year-olds from low-income families to provide access to a high-quality pre-K program the year before Hoosier children begin kindergarten. Eligible families may use the grant at any approved On My Way Pre-K program. For the 2019/2020 school year, families must meet the following requirements:
- Child must be 4 but not yet 5-years-old by August 1, 2019.
- Child must be a resident of Indiana.
- Parents/guardians in the household must be working, going to school or attending job training.
- Families must earn less than 127% of federal poverty level.
What can you do?
You are encouraged to become an eligible On My Way Pre-K provider. Here’s what you need to know:
- Becoming eligible does not guarantee you will receive funding from FSSA. Families who are approved for the program may choose their own provider. If you are one of the first eligible providers in your county, you have a stronger chance of being selected by families in your area.
- State law requires a 5% community match for On My Way Pre-K funds. You are responsible for finding a community partner or partners to supply the matching funds. Examples include local businesses, community foundations, or local service organizations. Click here to request support from Early Learning Indiana.
- Marketing materials are posted online via the On My Way Pre-K provider website. These materials will help you inform and recruit families in your community. Follow On My Way Pre-K Facebook Page for On My Way Pre-K resources and information for both providers and families.
- Rates for On My Way Pre-K will be updated for your county and posted here. Rates are 10% above market rate to help ensure all required activities can be completed and funding supports a high-quality environment for young learners.
Becoming an On My Way Pre-K provider is an outstanding way to demonstrate your commitment to early education through expanding young minds, supporting your community and ensuring that more children are prepared to be successful in kindergarten and beyond!